Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 18, 2009
We have been in the office the last two days after having Monday off and have been meeting in the mornings with a local pastor. We have been talking about evangelism and discipleship, but have focused mostly on the relationship aspects of each, rather than methods and such, which is good, because I think I would benefit more from this than from methods. His approach is somewhat untraditional and goes a little over the top and reads in to some passages a bit, but for the most part it has been enjoyable. Yesterday we talked a lot about creation and God’s creating man in His image and what that meant for evangelism and discipleship. Today we talked about the relationship between Adam and Eve, particularly their coming together as one, and how those principles applied to evangelism and discipleship. It was a little awkward at times, but we ended up talking about some relevant points. I think what I drew from the discussion on Tuesday is that it is a great need here to talk to people about their identity in God. It seemed that more than anything people need to know their worth as God’s image bearers and their value to Him, how much they are loved and the dominion God has given to people. At home I think evangelism has to make more of a point to stress people’s inability to attain salvation on their own because of their sin. I think the issue is different here, people don’t think they are good enough, they are not worthy of being loved; so they need to see that they are loved by God because they are made in His image.
We have been asked to write about three things so far. First, our thoughts on self-worth: who I am is not who you or others say I am, my worth comes from God, the fact that I am created in His image, called His child, bought at a price for an eternal inheritance in His kingdom, guarded by Him, pursued by Him, persevered by Him, and glorified by Him. Second, how we value others: all are created in God’s image and loved by Him, so it is my calling to see them how God sees them, love them as God loves them, and show them grace as God has showed it to me each and everyday in great measure. Third, what principles of a marital relationship apply to evangelism and discipleship: intimacy with God is first and most important; we must have a relationship with the other, we plant the seeds that God will make grow, but we must continue to nurture, care for, and admonish the new child of God; we must seek to leave a legacy, not just a fleeting relationship that will die; we must be rooted in Scripture, honest, personal, real, and vulnerable; and we must rejoice when someone comes to Christ.
I had my dad transfer money from my bank account in the US straight to the car dealer’s bank account. It has been over 24 hours and he said that the money has not appeared in his account yet. I pray that it will soon and that there won’t be any complications or difficulties and that the transaction goes smoothly.

February 21, 2009
Yesterday, we went to visit Drakenstein prison where Ambassadors runs a program called Hope Academy. This is the 2nd year of the program at that prison (it was previously held at a different prison) and they just selected their 22 members from 4 or 5 different prisons to move there and participate in the program. Because the new year is just launching, they held a ceremony yesterday and then they played a match against the Ambassadors interns and staff (guys only, girls were restricted from playing). The prisoners were selected for their soccer abilities, their attitude, commitment, and discipline. A would guess that a few are Christians, but most are not, although they have shown some desire to succeed and change their lives around. The program seems to have support from the right people, there were area directors and regional directors in attendance and all of them spoke for a couple of minutes to the guys in the program about the success of last year’s program and what the guys need to do to succeed this year. Their cell block warden and the recreation warden seemed like good role models, and also greatly supported the program. I was almost in awe when we were sitting with these 22 offenders and interacting with them, because you could see their potential and their desire for something more. They seemed like the kind of guys who I would hang out with and enjoy joking around with, even though most of them have been imprisoned for serious offences. When one of the staff members shared God’s word, it seemed as if they were listening eagerly and hopeful of what they could become. They have had many bad influences put on them, they’ve grown up with the wrong people, and they have made a lot of bad choices, but I pray that God would transform them and draw them to Himself, that they would know Christ as their Savior and Lord and start new lives.
There were two young men who I met whose lives were changed by God’s grace through the ministry of Ambassadors. The first guy was released last year and is now doing ministry in one of the townships through soccer and with the support of Ambassadors. He wants to reach kids before they make the mistakes he did, and he wants them to see that there is more out there for them. The second guy is a guy named Precious. I’ve read about him in some of the material from Ambassadors. This guy has a great testimony and a heart that has been won for the Lord. He went from a gang in the townships and a life full of violence to a young man who is loving God, witnessing for Christ, and leading other prisoners in their walk with God as well. He’s been sentenced to 10 years, but the joy he exudes is amazing and you wouldn’t know he is living his life in confinement. I pray that when he is released that God will use him mightily.
I got my car yesterday, the payment was all squared away, and I got an insurance policy put in to effect. The payment ended up being more than it was supposed to be because of some transaction fees taken out by the bank in Johannesburg, lowering the exchange rate by a full point. It ended up costing me an extra $100 from what I anticipated, but I ended up getting the car with the registration and license for $2800. I just have to pray that I don’t have any major maintenance issues, theft, or accidents, and that I can resell it and get them money transferred back to the US without any problems. That’s actually a huge prayer considering the crime and crazy driving in Cape Town, and the bank difficulties.
I also went to my first Rugby match ever yesterday (Friday was a big day). I really enjoyed it; those guys seriously take a huge beating. It was fun to watch and I think I understood most of what was going on. I went with a group of English guys, so they were knowledgeable teachers. It only cost $4 for standing room seats, which were tiered levels right behind one end line, so it’s reasonable enough that I would go back.
Today I did something stupid. Although I don’t feel entirely at fault. I activated my insurance policy over the phone yesterday and I was told that policy is conditional until you take your car to an inspection station, which you have 48 hours to do. There are only a few specific places you can go to and one was in Wynberg, which is where I live. I was given a number, an address, and the manager’s name. So I got up early this morning and called and they said bring it right it. So I drove to the intersection, which was the address I had and I didn’t see any garage, but right at that exact corner there was a sign that said Wynberg Vehicle Test Center to the left. So I followed that sign and found this facility that said Automotive Association Test Center. So I went in and said I needed an inspection to activate my insurance policy. They gave me a form to fill out and on the form where it said reason for inspection I wrote ‘new insurance policy with Auto & General.’ So I paid $25 and they took my car and started looking everything over: the tires, wipers, lights, etc. Then they drove it on to a spinning wheel to test the tires and brakes, then they pulled it a little bit further forward and sort of shook it around and tested the steering and such. (I’m not sure how some cars could even pass this test, but I felt good that mine did). Then these 2 guys asked me for my South Africa registration, which you need to be able to buy a car here. I told them it was at home, but they said they needed it to do the vehicle registration and licensing (which I already thought was done and paid for, which I mentioned). So I had my roommate run the paper over for me, along with the vehicle registration and proof of licensing. In the meantime I had a good conversation with these 2 guys, they were asking me about what I was doing here and how long I had been here and what Ambassadors did, so it was fine, and they were nice. When I got the papers I explained to them that I already had a current license and registration, which they saw, and asked why the insurance company sent me to them. I said I don’t know, but I was told to go have my car inspected to start a new policy. Then I showed them the name and number I was given and they told me I was at the wrong place. They felt bad because they don’t normally work at the front desk, but the administrative woman was not there that day and so they didn’t really get the information that would have let them know I was in the wrong place to begin with. They apologized and told me that I could try to come back on Monday to get my $25 refunded, because the administrative woman would have to do it. I don’t know if I’ll ever get that back or not, because they did run the test, which is what I paid for, but I think they felt partially to blame as well, which is why they offered for me to try. They also called the place where I was supposed to be and one of them let me follow him there. However, to make the story even funnier, I went in to that garage, which was a windshield replacement company and asked if that was where I was supposed to be. They said it was not. They sent be down the block back in the direction I came from, about 100 yards from the place where I originally saw the misleading sign (also 100 yards from the intersection where I was told the inspection station was). It was a windshield replacement garage as well, but they knew exactly what I needed for the insurance inspection. I filled out a new form and the inspection took about a minute to complete. What a morning!

February 22, 2009
I finally went to a church this morning where I would like to visit again as a potential temporary church home.

No comments:

Post a Comment