Friday, March 20, 2009

Ethics and Prison

March 15, 2009
This week we spent quite a bit of time talking about ethics and different scenarios that one might come across in sports and debated what Biblical principles would teach us about how we should act in those situations. Some of the debates were pretty interesting. We also talked about Sports Values, things like winning with humility, losing with dignity, teamwork, etc. Basically, it is about applying Biblical principles again to sports, which are valuable lessons to teach to Christians and non-Christians.
I met again with the girl from the college who I am mentoring. Our conversation was pretty general; I am just trying to get to know her. I asked her how much she has studied the Bible and she that outside of church, she hasn’t. So I asked her if she would be interested in studying the gospel of John with me. She didn’t know what that was, but I think that is partly due to the fact that she has gone to a Xhosa church and only has ever had a Xhosa Bible. She asked me if I would get her an English Bible, so I went out and bought one for her to make our studying together easier. I also got her a notebook and wrote down passages that we could read this week. My plan is to meet with her after church next week to talk about what we’ve read. She also came with me to church this morning (I was supposed to pick her up at 9:30 for a 10:00 service and she got in the car at 9:55, which meant we were about 5 minutes late for church, because knowing Africans I had built in some leeway time, next week I’ll have to lengthen it). She enjoyed the service and said she would like to go with me again next week. I don’t know what will come of our time together or what God is doing, but it is an area where I would appreciate prayer.
I went to Bible Study again on Wednesday night and they asked me if I wanted to switch groups, recognizing that I had been placed in a very young group. They moved me to a group with people my age and it was more comfortable and more challenging, so I guess God answered that prayer. There was one person who was very overzealous though and it made it very difficult for anyone else to contribute to the conversation. I was a little unprepared for such a person, but next week I’ll know and be prepared to talk and think at the same time instead of thinking before responding and not getting a word out. The leader said this person has only been there a couple of weeks and he’s still trying to figure out how to handle the situation as well.
Yesterday we had our second game and this time we had 12 players available, so there was at least one substitute. I don’t have my clearance still, so I was not able to play again. I did invite the team over for dinner afterwards and a handful of them came. We had dinner and then we hung out and played some games. It was fun.

March 16, 2009
Today was our day off, but it was a little rainy this morning and windy this afternoon, so it gave the air a bit of a chill (still warm enough for short sleeves). I went to the waterfront with 2 other guys and we visited the Two Oceans Aquarium, which was actually a little disappointing. There were animals from the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, but not a huge selection. It cost $8 and we saw everything in about an hour. Afterwards we were walking along the wharf and saw 8-10 huge seals lounging on a pier, and one swimming in the water. We thought that was more exciting. Tonight I have practice and have to pick up my laundry on the way. Not many people have washing machines, including us, and most people wash all of their clothes by hand, but I just don’t think I would get my clothes very clean and don’t want to invest that kind of time scrubbing all of my soccer clothes, so I pay about $4-5 every week and a half to 2 weeks to have my clothes washed for me. They wash, dry, and fold them for me, and usually even match my socks (I always have to refold them after for myself, but that’s partly because I’m picky about how my shirts are folded). Sorry that wasn’t very exciting information.

March 19, 2009
Yesterday we went back to the prison where AIS runs their academy and we spent the afternoon with the guys in the program. They took us in to the prison and to the room where the guys stay. As part of the program, they all live together in one room, like a giant dorm room, and all adhere to the same rules and standards. Ambassadors has even been allowed to provide posters and other decorations for the room, so there are a lot of Scripture verses around the room pointing the guys to the truth about who they are and what God has done and can do for them. They have to follow pretty strict disciplinary guidelines to stay in the program and these are posted and tracked in their room as well. We trained with their “team” (they have training 3 days a week and will soon start competition in a local church league on Saturday as well), so we got to interact with the guys a bit. Part of their training includes spiritual training as well. This week’s lesson was about lying and we participated in the discussion as well. The conversation was challenging and encouraging and the guys seemed pretty engaged. Everyone was divided in to two groups and two of the prisoners led each group discussion. They are both Christians (I wrote about one of them in an early post) and know the grace of God and what He has done for them, so it is really cool to see them teach the Scriptures to the guys, because they can relate so well. There seem to be wardens in the prison who are leading them as well, I am fairly certain that their cell warden is a Christian and has a great impact on them. So God is at work there.
Please pray for that prison though. These guys are in an area of the prison that is for younger offenders and their section is specifically for sports and ministry, and is slightly separated from other parts of the prison, but not entirely. It is a very dangerous and very horrific place. Gangsterism runs very deep throughout the prison, which means murder, rape, and violence and very prolific throughout the prison. There are sections of the prison that are controlled by gangs and guards are stabbed regularly. The maximum security areas are unsafe for anyone from the outside to enter and ministry is next to impossible. Pray that the guys in the Ambassadors program would be freed from any gang ties (some of them have been heavily involved and breaking ties is very hard, as it puts their lives in jeopardy). Pray that they would be open to hear the truth of the gospel, that the Spirit would be at work in their lives, and they would be free from the binds of their past. Pray for those who have given their lives to Christ that they would continue to be a witness and continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our great Lord and Savior. Pray that God would put people in their lives who are able to minister to them from within the prison at lengths that Ambassadors is unable to go to during their limited time there.
I’d also like to ask for prayer for myself with one of my roommates, I’ve been frustrated with her lack of motivation and diligence, and it is affecting my attitude toward her, so I need pray to know how to motivate her and help her along with some things she really needs to accomplish.
I spent significant time in prayer today for some friends at home and each time I pray for people at home it gives me great assurance knowing that God is the same God there and here, and I’m able to pray for you to our great and awesome God as if you were sitting here with me even while you are an ocean away.

March 20, 2009
Today we organized a tournament for the college across the street from our playing field. They help us out by allowing us to use different facilities and stuff, so in return they asked Ambassadors to participate in their “Fun Day”. We ran a tournament for 8 teams of students and I spoke for just a couple of minutes during the tournament just to tell them who we are, what we do, where they can find us, and what we believe. This afternoon we are heading back in to the city where we will do outreach among a Muslim community. Last week only a few kids came, and the teens were not interested in talking much with us, so hopefully this week more will participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment